Friday, April 4, 2014

Essay Writing Workshop for Parents/Teachers

I've had a lot of parents asking me to teach another workshop on my favorite Introductory Essay Writing Curriculum: The Institute for Excellence in Writing's All Things Fun and Fascinating text. I've finally nailed down a date!

I will also be teaching a Summer Essay Writing Camp from July 14-Aug 1, MWF, from 12:30-2pm, $100. More details coming soon.

The Essay Writing Training Workshop Date: May 3, 2014
Location: Chris Jones' Group 680 East State Street Lehi, UT 84043
Time: 10am-2pm
Cost: $25 (bring your own copy of All Things Fun and Fascinating)
Bring: a copy of ATFF (see below for where to buy one), water bottle, sack lunch, paper and pencil/pen. 
Register: by emailing me at valjeanh [at] gmail [dot] com

What to expect: In four hours I will walk you through the entire text, teaching you the IEW pattern and explaining how I teach Introductory Writing, with all my teaching tips. 

This class is all about teaching essay writing in a sequential way. It begins with one paragraph essays, notetaking (key word outlines), reading from notes, and works through writing from pictures, borrowing a conflict, research papers, creative writing, and finishes with three paragraph essays.

IEW is the BEST essay writing curriculum I've found, but there's a learning curve in understanding how to teach it. You can learn how to teach it by paying $25 for my 4 hour class, and/or you can watch the Teaching Writing: Structure and Style DVDs. You can buy the DVDs for $145 from IEW here or you can rent them from the Love to Learn (a homeschool store in Salem Utah) for $14.99 per week. 

Where to Buy the Text: You can buy All Things Fun and Fascinating on The Institute for Excellence In Writing website or the family owned homeschool store Love To Learn (use the code "Valerie" on the Love to Learn site and receive free shipping).

For more information about me, Valerie Harmon, click here for why I think IEW is the best writing curriculum, and click here to see my professional background on LinkedIn. Personally, I'm a Mom who custom educates (also called homeschool) my six children, lives in Lehi and LOVES teaching, reading, editing, and writing. Contact me by email at valjeanh [at] gmail [dot] com.

No comments:

Post a Comment